To answer this question, we questioned our community members! After selecting a group of 100 magnificent attractions and destinations around the globe , we asked a sample of 10,000 users to indicate 15 preferences. The attractions that have scored the highest number of votes have returned to this top 15 …
Park Lençóis Maranhenses, Brasile
Photo by Cristiano Quintino. The Lençois Maranhenses National Park in Brazil is one of the most spectacular landscapes imaginable. A huge boundless valley with crystal-colored fresh water interspersed with sinuous white sand dunes that extend as far as the eye can see. It is hard to believe: in fact this place seems almost out of this world. But luckily for us, this natural landscape is real and just waiting to be visited.
- Type of visit : Free admission but to reach the Park it is necessary to rely on a guide
- Period indicated : Between March and September, after the rainy season.
Imagine yourself immersed in surreal, brilliant, warm, clear and crystalline thermal waters , positioned infinitely on the slopes of a white hill , with the void in front of you admiring the majestic valley. Truly a spectacular sight. The geological phenomenon of Pamukkale , literally “Cotton Castle” in Turkish, is something magnificent. Furthermore, the place is close to the equally extraordinary remains of the Greco-Roman city of Hierapolis. With such a unique combination of natural and man-made wonders it’s no wonder the site’s presence in the rankings.
- Type of visit : Entrance fee
- Period indicated : In Spring or Summer
Machu Picchu, Peru
Why Machu Picchu is one of the most beautiful places in the world to visit? Simple, because it allows you to feel small in front of the deadly grandeur of nature that combines perfectly with the marks left by one of the greatest human civilizations ever, because it allows you to explore one of the most legendary Inca roads that connects the city. of Cusco with the sacred citadel of Machu Picchu, because you can feel like you are in the clouds and enjoy a wonderful view, immersed in history and myth.
- Type of visit : Entrance fee
- Period indicated : Months between April and October (For the excursion on foot along the Inca path) – All year round for the simple visit of the site
One of the most beautiful things to visit in Greece are undoubtedly the Meteora . Above the city of Kalambaka, on the northwestern side of the plain of Thessaly, gigantic rock formations rise towards the sky reaching almost 400 meters in height. Above them, just like in a fantastic film, a series of monasteries have remained in equilibrium for centuries shrouded in clouds. Meteora is “the city in the sky”, a dreamlike place capable of making you feel like a god of Olympus.
- Type of visit : Entrance fee. Each monsastery costs 3 euros for a total of € 18. There is no combined ticket.
- Period indicated : Mid-seasons are ideal, especially Spring
Fairy Pools, Isle of Skye – Scotland
If you love hiking and nature, if you love Scottish landscapes or are planning a trip to the Isle of Skye in general, then you should definitely visit the so-called Fairy Pools : the magical “fairy pools”. These are located near the Cuillins Mountains on the Isle of Skye in Scotland. These are wonderful natural pools of cold and clear water , formed by the waterfalls that fall down from the slopes of the Cuillins mountains. A unique show!
Valley of the Nine Villages
Literally ” Valley of the Nine Villages “, it is an enchanting nature reserve in the Sichuan province of China, a Unesco heritage site , which boasts turquoise lakes, lush vegetation and a system of waterfalls that give its visitors a breathtaking view. a wonderful landscape for those who love nature walks. Little remains of the small villages, but you can still admire what remains of the typical Tibetan houses . However, what attracts tourists to this valley remains its geological structure: a landscape dotted with karst mountains and glaciers ., lakes of glacial origin formed by the fall of boulders and rocks that have closed these basins that contain a very clear waterthanks to the presence of calcium carbonate.
- Type of visit : Free admission, but it is advisable to rely on a guide for the excursion.
- Period indicated : All year round, but the autumn colors make the place even more magical
We move to Australia where we find Uluru , a fantastic rocky massif located in the Australian outback, in the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park , famous for its intense red color that varies amazingly during the hours of the day, especially at sunrise and sunset , taking on colors ranging from gold, to bronze, to purple. These optical effects and the rapid color change are due to the presence of minerals called feldspar , which particularly reflect red light.. Furthermore, the massif is largely made of iron, and the red color is therefore due to the oxidation of this metal, which generates rust with the classic bronzed color. Its surface, apparently smooth, offers a unique versatility, with pools of water, small springs and ancient cave paintings . Reachable by bus, it offers a fascinating panorama from its top.
- Type of visit : Admission fee. The 3-day pass costs $ 25.00.
- Period indicated : All year round for a simple visit. For those who want to camp in the park, the summer months are better, from November to March.
Santuario Fushimi Inari-Taisha, Giappone
Let’s go back to Asia, specifically to Japan, to admire a wonderful shrine, a Shinto place of worship dedicated to the Inari spirit located in Fushimi-ku , Kyoto. The sanctuary is known for the thousands of ” Torii “, vermilion red access portals to Japanese temples, which delimit the path that reaches the hill where the sanctuary is located. Inari is the deity of rice and inside the sanctuary you can admire several statues representing the foxes which are, according to the cult, the messengers of the deity. The path that leads to the temple, about 4 kilometers long, is very tiring to travel, but it certainly represents a small journey that brings visitors closer to the temple both physically and spiritually. It is certainly one of the most evocative places in Japan.
- Type of visit : Free admission.
- Period indicated : All year round. A visit at sunset is particularly recommended.
Kyaiktiyo Golden Rock, Birmania
We remain in Asia, but we move to Yangon , Burma, to admire the ” Golden Rock “, located on Mount Kyaiktiyo . It is a piece of rock that is hovering on a mountain for a hair, or rather for ” a hair of Buddha ” as legend has it, probably born due to the fact that the rock according to the first visitors was able to stay still in the balance for thanks to something miraculous. For this reason, about two thousand years ago, a pagoda was built on the rock , where thousands of tourists go every year to attach a sheet of pure gold.in exchange for a little luck from the Buddha: hence the name of Golden Rock. In addition to the particular location, the place is well known for the mystical sensations that the sanctuary gives.
- Type of visit : Free admission, but to arrive you must travel on authorized trucks. 3000 kyat rate (just over two euros)
- Period indicated : Pre-monsoon period, from mid-February to mid-May
Moraine Lake, Canada
We reach Canada, where we find a very particular lake, Moraine Lake, known for its picturesque landscape, but also for the color of its blue-green waters, due to the presence of rocky particles on the bottom. The lake, of glacial origin, is located in the ” Valley of the Ten Peaks “, extends for about half a square kilometer and is surrounded by several paths, which allow you to make wonderful excursions to the foot of the 10 mountains that surround the lake and from which the valley takes its name. A perfect destination for those who love to immerse themselves in nature, and wrap themselves in a breathtaking landscape.
- Type of visit : Free admission but paid services (e.g. shuttle for transport or canoe rental)
- Period indicated : Months of June and July
Golden Circle Route, Islanda
Let’s go to Europe now to admire the Golden Circle Route in Iceland. It is a very fascinating tourist itinerary, with three main stops: the Pingvellir National Park , the Gullfoss Waterfall and the Haukadalur geothermal valley .
The first is a territory full of rifts due to continuous tectonic movements. One of these slots is full of coins, thrown in by visitors, as the tradition based on European legends dictates. The second is a waterfall 20 meters wide and 2.5 kilometers long that can be visited via a path that extends over three levels. Finally, the third, a geothermal valley that hosts two active geysers: the Strokkur which erupts about every 5-10 minutes and the Geysir which erupts about four times a day. Beyond these three stages, the whole area offers a landscape full of waterfalls , and an active geothermal valley with geysers that throw boiling water into the air up to 70 meters high: very impressive, but to be visited with caution. SEE ALSO: Visit to Thingvellir National Park, Iceland: How to get there, prices and advice
- Type of visit : To travel the road you do not pay anything but the main stages of the tour are paid.
- Period indicated : Summer – Spring
Still in Europe, in Norway, we go to Trolltunga, a piece of rock that extends horizontally … into nothing! The name means ” language of the troll “, due to its shape that recalls the language of the typical characters of northern European mythology . From it you can admire the Ringedalsvanet lake below and the wonderful play of peaks of the surrounding Norwegian fjords . It is the perfect place to sit and reflect, or rather to raise your arms to the sky and feel the masters of the world!
- Type of visit : Guided excursion for a fee
- Period indicated : from about mid-June to mid-September
3 – Angkor Wat, Cambodia
We are in Cambodia, and we find ourselves admiring the largest Hindu temple in the world , built during the reign of the Khmer , and famous for its peculiar style and its architecture with attention to the smallest details. The majestic sandstone construction was born at the behest of King Suryavarman II, as a mausoleum for the adoration of him after his death. Inside the Angkor Archaeological Park , the building stands surrounded by a moat and is dedicated to Vishnu. For video game fans, the temple was chosen as the setting for games such as Tekken and Tomb Rider ! An unusual reason to visit this magnificent work of man.
- Type of visit : paid (1.3-day or weekly ticket)
- Recommended period : from November to February, but better to avoid the December holidays in order not to find too many crowds.
2 – Great Blue Hole, Caraibi
It is an underwater karst sinkhole 123 meters deep, located east of Belize in the Caribbean Sea , inside the Lighthouse Reef atoll . The cavity has a circular shape and is over 300 meters wide. It was formed during the last Ice Age as a limestone cave : when the sea level rose the cave flooded and took on the appearance it presents today. It is known to be one of the most beautiful dive sites in the world , as it offers an underwater landscape rich in stalactites and typical aspects of a now submerged cave, and native fauna with different species of sharks including the black tip reef shark .
- Type of visit : Paid dive (price of 280 $)
- Period indicated : from December to May
1 – Antelope Canyon, Arizona
We must fly to Arizona, to the land of the Navajos , to be breathless in front of this spectacle of nature: Antelope Canyon, which consists of two separate formations, made of a reddish sandstone rock , which has been shaped by water and from the wind, and has created a dense network of caves and tunnels in which beams of light enter which create an environment so perfect and sinuous that it seems to be drawn. A magical place, which photography lovers will not be able to avoid capturing with their flashes, to take home a crazy landscape! SEE ALSO : Antelope Canyon, Arizona: where it is, when to go and what to see
- Type of visit : for a fee (guided tours from 30 to 80 dollars)
- Period indicated : from April to July
Other places to visit
- Places to visit in Italy : we have plenty of national wonders, from the beautiful Italian cities of art, to the small medieval villages, without forgetting the small hidden pearls unknown to mass tourism.
- Places to visit in Europe : for a nice trip to the “Old Continent”, take a look at the best places to visit in Europe and of course the “evergreen” European capitals, suitable for any type of traveler.
- Places to visit abroad : do you prefer something more exotic? Then discover the most beautiful islands in the world, instead if you like the idea of discovering one of the world’s great metropolises, don’t forget the most beautiful cities in the world
- Places to visit in the summer : if your holidays from work coincide with the summer period, here’s where to go on a summer holiday abroad or the best Italian summer destinations for young people
- Places to visit in winter : and for a vacation in the winter months? Discover our best offers for young people or families